I work as a marketing manager for international non-profits but I prefer to think of myself as a dj/writer/artist type. One side pays the bills and keeps me karmakly balanced and the other makes life better.
My relationship with cooking began when my mom decided she didn’t want to cook anymore and a good life lesson would be for her kids to start cooking for her. It paid off to a degree. I managed to get a few jobs working in the kitchen to pay my way through life.
One of my last professional cooking jobs was as a sushi chef in Seattle. I was lucky to be trained by the executive sushi chef for the ObaChine group of restaurants, Fuji Yakimoro.
Veggie California Rolls
Spicy Tuna & Grilled Asparagus Makis
- Sushi rice -
- Mirin -
- Togarashi -
- chives -
- tuna -
- sesame oil -
- sesame seeds -
- plain Yogurt -
- Sriracha -
- Nori -
- bamboo sushi roller -
- rice cooker -
- Rinse rice 3 times in cold water and then let rest in water bath for 20 minutes or until all rice kernels are bone white.
- Rinse rice one more time prior to cooking and fill rice cooker bowl with water so that the water level goes to the beginning of your second knuckle of your middle finger when your hand is placed flat palm down. Start rice cooking in rice cooker.
- When rice is done (rice cooker switch will move to "keep warm" position"), season with mirin. Mirin will add the sweetness and make it perfectly sticky.
- While rice is cooking finely chop up chives and then rinse chopped chives in a cheese cloth, wringing the water out as you rinse. You should have a nice chive "paste". Set paste aside for the preperation of the roll.
- Peel and desead cucumbers so that you are left with the "meat" of the cucumber. Slice the cucumber into nice long thing segments that can fit the length of the Nori. Set the prepared cucumber aside.
- Preparing the spicy tuna requires using the back side of a spoon to "mash" the tuna and seperate it from the fatty tissue that is between each layer. After prepping your tuna into a nice mushy mess place it in a bowl for mixing with other seasonings.
- Add sesame oil, sriracha, togarashi and yogurt into tuna and mix well with spoon.
- Now you are ready to roll!
- Place a piece of nori on bamboo roller
- Add a layer of sushi rice to cover the nori
- Add a thumb size diameter of spicy tuna on the middle of the rice layer
- Adjacent to the tuna add a row of cucumber
- opposite the side of the tuna with the cucumber, paint a layer of chives next to the tuna.
- Now roll the nori over like you are making a cigar. IMPORTANT With your finger, add water to the nori to seal the roll shut !!!!
- Slice into 6-8 pieces and serve with wasabi and soysauce.