A few years ago, my mom taught me this quick and easy authentic home cooked recipe. I was born and raised in San Juan, PR where rice and beans was the staple of most of my meals. This is my go to recipe because it only takes me 15 minutes to make, it’s cheap (the total recipe cost is less than $3.50), a great source of protein, and it taste fantastic the next day.
- yellow onion - 1 large
- Cubanelle (sweet) pepper - 1
- Dried bay leaves - 2
- extra virgin olive oil - 1 tbsp of EVOO
- black beans - 1 large can
- sea salt - 1 pinch
2. On a pot high heat drizzle the EVOO and sautee the onions and peppers until they are golden (about 3 to 4 minutes)
3. Add the can of black beans and 1/2 a cup of water
4. Add Dried Bay Leaves and a pinch of sea salt and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
This is a great recipe as a stand alone Black Bean Soup. You can also add some brown rice and have a traditional Latin inspired sides to your meal. You can add some corn tortillas, salsa and this black bean recipe and make some vegan burritos. There are many variations to this recipe.